CLOSEcontent
MENUcontent
The BSA Team CONTACT THE BSA
SUB MENU

The BSA Team

Chief Executive

Robin Fletcher MBA MPhil FRSA
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
M. +44 (0)7715 460591
E. robin@boarding.org.uk

Robin Fletcher MBA MPhil was a boarder at Rugby School and is passionate about good quality, modern boarding. He has been BSA Chief Executive since 2014 after working as a journalist, award-winning newspaper editor, plc communications director and business owner.

Robin is an honorary fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and Cardiff Metropolitan University, a former journalism examiner and former adult education tutor. He lives in Bath in south west England and has two daughters, two stepdaughters and two stepsons. 

Director of Operations - currently on maternity leave

Aileen Kane BA (Hons)
E. aileen@boarding.org.uk

Aileen leads BSA’s Marketing and Services Team, which oversees marketing, media, social media, print and digital publishing, events, sponsorship, advertising, finance, HR and facilities. She also deputises for the Chief Executive.

After nine years managing marketing and communications at two independent UK boarding schools, Aileen joined BSA as Head of Communications in March 2015. A business graduate, she worked as a head of international marketing in the beauty industry before entering the education sector. 

Aileen, who understands the issues and challenges facing the UK boarding sector, is a member of BSA’s senior leadership team. Through this she has responsibility for liaising with the government including DfE and the Home Office, local authorities and other agencies to support member schools. She is a board member of the Boarding School Partnership group which aims to place vulnerable children into boarding schools and also heads up BSA's work to find places for refugee children escaping from conflict countries. 

Director of Training

Andrew Lewin BA (Hons), PGCE
BSA Level 4 Accredited Boarding Practitioner

T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
M. +44 (0)7388 937780
E. andrew@boarding.org.uk

Andrew Lewin, joined the BSA team as Director of Training in August 2017. He manages the Training and International Team within BSA and delivers the largest CPD programme to boarding staff in the world. Prior to joining BSA, he has lived and worked in boarding schools literally all his life. He has been the Head in three boarding schools, as well as Deputy Head, Housemaster, Head of Geography, Master i/c Rugby, Hockey and Cricket, Appeal Director and Director of Development. He has been an ISI Team Inspector and a Governor of an independent boarding school. He has also served on the local safeguarding children's boards in North Yorkshire and Cheshire where he organised and delivered training for both local authorities and independent schools.

Head of Safeguarding and Standards

Dale Wilkins BA (Hons), MA (Ed), PGCE
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
M. +44 (0)7905 127 650
E. dale@boarding.org.uk

Dale joined BSA during Summer 2017. After boarding positions at Norwich School and Tettenhall College, Dale became a Housemaster at Old Swinford Hospital in 1992, and was promoted to Deputy Head in 2007, and subsequently DSL also. He has also been a multi-agency trainer for the Dudley Safeguarding Children’s Board and has been closely involved in inspection in state and independent boarding since 2002.

Dale has been a BSA course tutor since 1998 and developed the BSA Self-Assessment toolkit. Dale leads on all safeguarding and inspection matters for BSA, including managing the BSA Commitment to Care Charter, annual Safeguarding Conference, leads the Safeguarding Forum, and all related training matters. 

Marketing and Communications Manager

Alexandra Syrjanen BA, GradDip, MA (Communications)
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
M. +44 (0)7487 765 569 
E. alexandra.syrjanen@boarding.org.uk

Joining the BSA team in March 2018, Alexandra manages the BSA’s media and communications requirements – overseeing social media, marketing, media, digital and print publishing, while the Director of Operations is on maternity leave.

Alexandra has worked in communications for private, listed, charity and membership organisations, and is excited to use the knowledge she has learnt in these sectors to support the BSA. 

After running her own business mentoring final year students, Alexandra understands the needs of, and pressures placed on, students and teachers.

Events and Commercial Manager - currently on maternity leave 

Amy Wilson BA (Hons)
E. amy@boarding.org.uk

Amy has over 12 years events and commercial experience in B2C, B2B and charity sectors.  Since 2010 she has managed the event needs for the BSA and has overseen the growth of the conference and seminar programme. Amy’s eye to detail ensures that everything from the speaker line up, to hotel rooms, equate to a top quality BSA event experience for all delegates. 

In 2015 Amy took over the management of the commercial needs for the BSA and is currently accepting bookings and advertising for events and publications.  

Senior Training Manager

Liz McDonald
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. liz@boarding.org.uk

Liz McDonald has been with the BSA for five years and is responsible for the coordination of the BSA training requirements, including the Roehampton University course.   

A former financial services professional, Liz relishes the opportunity to help and assist boarding staff with their training needs and continued professional development.

Training and International Manager

Bethan Waddington 
 T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
 E. bethan@boarding.org.uk

Bethan Waddington joined the BSA team as Training Manager in September 2017. Passionate about education, Bethan has worked in two independent boarding schools in the UK and Switzerland, the latter as Housemistress to 36 pupils. Following her time in Switzerland she was a Pastoral Manager for an inner city state academy before working in the charity sector for Debrett's running the ‘Debrett's Foundation’ training programme to provide life skills and training opportunities to under privileged teens.  

In her role as Training Manager, Bethan co-ordinates all Day Seminars, INSET and Consultancy. She believes boarding can be a positive force for young people and in order to fully support their needs staff can never learn too much. As such she is passionate about the CPD BSA delivers to our pastoral communities in the UK and worldwide.

Events and Commercial Coordinator 

Camilla Basheer BA
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
M. +44 (0)7539 669 996
E. Camilla@boarding.org.uk

Camilla has taken on the events role at the BSA while Amy Wilson is on maternity leave. With nearly 10 years’ experience in events, Camilla brings her enthusiasm for organisation and leadership to every event she oversees. All the details of a BSA event are meticulously overseen by Camilla - from managing bookings, to arranging exhibitors and running the day. Along with coordinating our events, Camilla manages the BSA sponsorship and commercial requirements.

Before working for the BSA, Camilla worked for an events agency in Soho, focusing on film, media and celebrity events.

Membership and Marketing Manager

Chris Ryan MA, BSc, PGCE, NPQH
 T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
M. +44 (0)7940 549 336
 E. chris@boarding.org.uk

Chris joined BSA as Membership and Marketing Manager in February 2017 and is well versed in the world of education, having worked as a teacher for 30 years, the last twelve as Deputy Head; which included a period as Acting Head teacher. Having experienced seven Ofsted inspections, he is keenly aware of the pressures that they put on school staff.

Years of interviewing, assemblies, presentations to governors and engaging with stakeholders from all walks of life has enabled him to respond to a variety of requests and issues in a creative, logical and often humorous manner.

Finance and Administration Executive

Alex Chevin BCom
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. alexandra@boarding.org.uk

Alex, a former boarding school pupil, is an Economics and Accountancy graduate from Australia.

Alex is passionate about all things boarding - and even worked in a boarding school throughout her university years! She looks after finance and administration for the BSA team.

Data and Administration Co-ordinator

Ananya Sitlani BSc (Hons) 
T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
E. ananya@boarding.org.uk

Ananya joined BSA in September 2017 and assists the team with all areas of BSA business. 

Boarding dog

Haggis
T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
E. bsa@boarding.org.uk

Haggis is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy and joined the BSA team in August 2017. He likes long walks and lazy afternoon naps. He looks forward to meeting fellow boarding house dogs in the near future.

BSA Consultant

Alex Thomson OBE BSc (Hons) PGCE DipEd FCIPD MIfL
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. alex@boarding.org.uk

Alex Thomson OBE taught geography and mathematics before joining the Education & Training branch of the Army. His service included roles as Director of Adult Education in Northern Ireland, Chief Examinations Officer for the Army’s Junior Officer Education and Training, and Senior Education Adviser to the Officer Selection Board. Before becoming BSA’s Director of Training in September 2008, he was the Children’s Services Director for British Forces in Germany. 

He is passionate about promoting staff development and team building in education and boarding. He was made OBE in the 2009 New Year’s Honours List for his support to Service Children and their families in Germany.  He was BSA Director of Training for seven years and currently leads the BSA Professional Certificate course in a consultancy capacity for the association.

Jane Graham, MSc, BSc, Dip Ed., R.S.C.N

Trained at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, Jane has 27 years nursing background, 17 of which is in trauma and intensive care. Whilst on PICU, she had a number of different roles. Nine years of that included a role as a specialist retrieval nurse (CATS) that entailed travelling around the country to stabilize and bring back critically unstable children. To do this she learnt advanced nursing and basic medical skills in resuscitation, all medical conditions and trauma. She went on to teach these skills to student nurses, qualified nurses and junior doctors as the Practice educator on intensive care. This role also involved lecturing regularly at South Bank University.

She is a DSL for Safeguarding at St Teresa’s School where she currently is the Lead Nurse. On the back of setting up the school’s medical services, she has set up a first aid training company Action + First Aid. She is a freelance instructor for Qualsafe an awarding body approved by the HSE. 

Jill Hill, BSc, DipHE, RN

Jill Hill is entering her 6th year as Lead Nurse at The Cheltenham Ladies College, following a long career in Emergency care. As a Senior Sister and Emergency Nurse Practitioner at the John Radcliffe hospital she was responsible for staff training and worked in association with Oxford Brookes University to deliver specialist lectures in minor injuries and autonomous practice. In 2012, her chapter “The Role of the Trauma Nurse” was published in the 4th Edition of ABC of Major Trauma, she continues to be a ALS instructor for Resus Council (UK). Jill’s change of direction into school nursing enabled her to rekindle her love of nursing by making a marked difference to the students in her care by reinventing the medical centre and its provision at CLC.  She and her team are an integral part of the Pastoral team, working with students, staff and key stakeholders to ensure that the overall physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing of each individual pupil is at the centre of all they do.

Jill is a strong advocate for the nursing profession suggesting the unique skills and qualities nurses possess make them the perfect advocates for the students in their care.

CREDIT: Image header taken from BSA member school Highfield School

-