04 Mar 2021 - 04 Mar 2021
BSA virtual day seminar
Title: Eating disorders & association emotional health issues and support
Date: March 04, 2021
Time: 10:30 - 12:30 and 13:30 - 15:30
Speaker: Vathani Navasothy, Eating disorder specialist, trainer and author
Audience: Boarding staff, Head of Boarding, Deputy Head, Medical staff
Eating disorders remain high on the youth development risk list. The speaker will discuss detecting students with an eating disorder based on presentation, appearance, attitude and behaviour. She will highlight challenges and aspects to be mindful of when dealing with this serious mental health issue- especially as it will impact all students at dorm , class and wider school level. Vathani will walk you through appropriate interventions, joint working, including key referrals and parent/guardian involvement.
This information packed day will provide you with know-hows, useful consideration on management of cases, practical approaches proven to work and school policy implementation on Eating Disorders so you can best support the student, vulnerable peers as well as all staff connected.
- To build confidence for those front line and support staff dealing with students with eating disorders
- To equip staff with everyday tools they can use in many environments (dorms, classrooms, sports grounds, canteen/dining hall)
- To facilitate effective communication across the whole school (shared Careplan)
- To equip delegates with valuable guidelines, policy considerations, reference materials and practical tools to use, including some practical signposting to access further specific help and support.
- Signs and symptoms, causes and maintaining factors
- Student health and emotional issues and safety considerations
- Useful tools and therapeutic strategies for all front line and support staff
- Best practice for Eating Disorder support, including whole school approach, referral issues, language
Outcomes and resources:
- Improved confidence in delegate's ability to handle a student with and Eating Disorder
- Knowledge of signs & symptoms to look for
- Do's and don'ts when it comes to dealing with eating disorders, including use of language
- Insights in to getting the appropriate medical help in a timely manner
- Matters on safeguarding the whole school
- Support suggestions for staff
- Access to tools, video demos and tips on school policy creation.
Speaker: Vathani Navasothy
Vathani Navasothy, is an eating disorder specialist, author & trainer with 28 years of experience. She has been a featured speaker at BSA since 2008, trainer and workshop facilitator at various conferences and live events on eating disorders and body image topics; including secondary school settings within the PSHE & sports curriculum. She specialises in all areas of eating disorder treatment and is a high profile Webinar Trainer, broadcasting via the Internet throughout the UK and internationally.
Member and trainer at the National Centre for Eating Disorders. Vathani’s credentials include: • Advanced Diploma in Eating Disorders and Obesity Practitioner Skills • Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling • MSc in Exercise and Health Behaviour • BSc in Physiology • Diploma in Sports Psychology • AAMET Certified EFT Practitioner; NLP & Hypnotherapy Practitioner.
She is passionate about empowering those who serve the front line when it comes to making a difference to those with eating disorders.